Before starting driving lessons you must apply for a provisional licence. This can be done either online at GOV.UK or by completing the D1 application form, available at your local Post Office.
In order to apply for your provision licence you will need to:
- be a resident of Great Britain
- turn 17 within 3 months (but you will need to wait until your birthday before you are able to drive on the road)
- be able to read a new-style number plate from 20 meters or an old-style number plate from 20.5 meters
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £50 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or valid proof of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- give all addresses where you’ve lived over the last three years
You should receive your provisional licence within 3 weeks of the DVLA receiving your application, although it can take longer if heath or personal details have to be checked.